Square Square 4578338009.jpg Square

MENU

Square C_OF_logo_v2

LLANYBLODWEL

St Michael's Church is situated within the village of Llanyblodwel, in a very rural and picturesque setting. The village is located six miles south of Oswestry and a mile from the Welsh border and lies within the lower end of the Tanat valley. The River Tanat flows through the parish which is bounded on one side by Offa's Dyke. The parish has two main areas of population, Llanyblodwel village in the west which consists of approximately 26 properties and Llynclys which is larger and lies on the eastern border adjoining Morton. The rest of the population is very rural and dispersed.

 

The site of Llanyblodwel church is one of the earliest holy sites in Britain, believed to be 1700 years old. The current church was built by the Normans on the Welsh side of Offa's Dyke around 1160 AD. However the shape and character of the Church owes much to the work of Rev'd John Parker in the 1840s. The outside is noted for its domical tower which encompasses the belfry. The many visitors to the Church are attracted by the interior. The wooden screen, the square paneled ceiling and above all the ornate passages of scripture written on the walls. Visitors find it a place of peace and tranquillity.

 

The Eucharist lies at the heart of the monthly pattern of worship. Services embrace both the Prayer Book and Common Worship and there are regular family and morning prayer services. The congregation mainly consists of people that have their roots within the parish.

 

There is an active and well attended Mothers Union. The Church, along with the Horseshoe Inn, is at the centre of the community. Events are held at major festivals and these are well supported and appreciated by the local community. There are also several fund raising events which involve the wider community.

Services
Diary Dates
Photo Gallery History Location

Church Wardens

 

Ron Tudor

01691 830350

 

Roger Taylor

01691 839929

llanyblodwell distance Mission Action Plan